I promised I’d post some pictures of my recycled yarn cardigan didn’t I? It’s been a while, but this weekend I finally modelled it for some FO photos. So without further ado, here they are.
It’s made from a woollen yarn that I unravelled from an old (and far too big for me) woollen jumper. I still have loads of it left over, probably enough for a sleeveless top, so yes, the original sweater was way too big for me!
The pattern is Something Red by Wendy Bernard. It’s knitted from the top down, so I was able to check the fit as I went. I’d thoroughly recommend the pattern, which was easy to follow and has a clever short-row section in the collar to make it fit very neatly around the back of the neck. The only tiresome thing about it was the ribbed body section, which seemed to take forever! But once that part was done, the sleeves and collar were a doddle and really fast.
It’s topped off by a single resin button with a daisy embedded in it, which I made myself. I need to tighten up the buttonhole a bit, as it gaps when the button’s fastened, but I love how the single daisy looks.
And I have another finished object to
blab about show off. I’ve been wanting to knit Laura Chau’s Top-Down Shoulder Warmer since she published the pattern. Can you tell I have a penchant for knitting top-down garments?! 😉 And I’ve had the perfect yarn for it lurking in my stash for a while now, but it was only last weekend that I finally matched them together.
So first some detail about the yarn. It was handspun, some corriedale that I dyed as a test run for the very first Wildcraft fibre club installment in January, which eventually became the ‘Potpourri’ colourway. So these two braids of top…
Became these two skeins of aran weight yarn (after spinning on my Kromski Sonta wheel)…
And then last week, they became this shrug…
I’m wearing it at the moment, it’s a perfect summer evening thing. I do feel elegant wearing it, and just warm enough. It’s another pattern that I’d highly recommend, particularly as it’s such a quick knit. I think it took about four evenings in total to make, and I’m not a super-fast knitter. And it only used up 400m-ish of yarn, so it’s perfect for that special handspun, where it shows off stripey yarn to very good effect.
Right, that’s enough of me tooting my own horn. I suppose I could have whittered on about the batts that the dog shredded last week (he’s a rescue greyhound with a taste for fluff, which he tends to mistake for the toy rabbits he was trained to chase), but FO’s are much more interesting, and well, finished 🙂